Panerai 2014 Classic Yachts Challenge Special Edition aka PAM 571 – P series.
What is most interesting about this watch is that it is likely the most limited production Regatta special edition ever made. PAM 571 was made in a special limited edition of only 50 Pieces whereas previous Regatta special editions were produced typically in an edition of 500 Pieces. The PAM 571 was released to commemorate Panerai’s 10 year anniversary of sponsoring the Classic Yachts Challenge Racing Series for the past 10 years (2005-2014). The PAM 571 features a 47mm luminor 1950 case in titanium powered by Panerai’s in-house P.9000 automatic 3-ays power reserve movement with date indication.
The PAM 571 is almost a dead ringer for the PAM 305 save for 2 significant details—those being
- PAM 571 features large bold luminous 12 and 6 arabic number markers and the remaining hour markers are oversized dots whereas PAM 305 features double baton hour marker at 12 and single baton hour marker at 6 with remaining hour markers as oversized luminous dots
- PAM 571 features solid engraved titanium caseback with Classic Yachts Challenge logo and stamp whereas PAM 305 features sapphire see through caseback
About the Classic Yachting Challenge Racing Series
The Classic Yachting Challenge Racing Series Spans 11 International Regattas with the Majority of these regattas held on the Mediterranean Circuit in Italian, French and Spanish waters. There is a North American Circuit held entirely in New England and there are two ports uniquely tied to the world of classic sailing, Antigua and Cowes, the birthplace of the America’s Cup. The Classic Yachting Challenge Race Series opens in April and Wraps up the racing series in Cannes at the end of September.
Classic Yachts Challenge features 3 Different categories of racing which feature: Vintage Yachts, Classic Yachts and Spirit of Tradition Tribute Yachts. The constraints for the classes are below:
- Vintage Yachts -built from wood or metal and launched before December 31st 1949
- Classic Yachts- built from metal or wood and launched before December 31st 1975
- Spirit of Tradition Yachts- built after 1970 using modern materials and techniques, a look that is true to traditional designs
Panerai’s sponsorship of the Classic Yachts Challenge began in 2005 and was commemorated with the release of the PAM 222, the Regatta 2005 Luminor Power Reserve